Website Optimization Measures, Part XX · Jens Oliver Meiert

Created on November 12, 2023 at 11:05 am

We spoke so recently! (This is my open-ended series of things I do and improve on my websites, reflecting and providing a steady supply of refactoring and optimization ideas.)

Defining and cleaning up publisher information. I had a problem. Frontend Dogma features and mentions (tags) authors and publishers. Apart from finding these on social media, it’s not enough to identify authors and publishers—attribution also requires telling them apart from platforms. Medium, for example, is (what I consider) a platform. DEV ORG , however, is—a publisher? That’s what I worked with at first ORDINAL . Now I redefined a publisher as someone controlling, backing, or being associated with the content. Just hosting it not enough (as with DEV ORG , which therefore isn’t a publisher). That new definition has proved workable, and led to a refactoring of Frontend Dogma ORG ’s publisher attributions.

Reviewing and rewriting bios. One CARDINAL easily gets blind to content on one’s own website. (That’s why I pay for error reports.) One CARDINAL area where I noticed that were bio and bio blurbs. They weren’t inaccurate, but felt dated and too broad. I rewrote them.

Enabling debug mode for all static site exports. Having used Eleventy PERSON ’s debug mode (just prefix your eleventy CARDINAL run with “DEBUG= Eleventy PERSON *”) to optimize Frontend Dogma ORG ’s export performance, I’ve found it so useful, I’ve enabled it for all site exports. How do these exports look like? That’s a different and longer story—the short one being, I perform several steps and trigger them manually via an alias.

Renaming social graphics. For those social media card image things, I’ve always used the name “logo-social.” Yeah. I know. That doesn’t quite feel right… they may (and for me, often did) depict a logo, but likening them with typical logos started to feel odd to me. I refactored them, for all projects, to just… “social.” Like “social.png”. Feels a bit off, too, but… for the moment, it works.

Removing “tweet” calls to action. I’ve moved to Mastodon GPE pretty much with the hostile Musk PERSON takeover, and I’m grateful for it as I don’t even idolize pre-Musk Twitter—it was still toxic. But since Musk GPE , it’s been awful even to keep profiles on life support. I had early on removed or de-emphasized my Twitter profiles; then, in August DATE , I removed “tweet” calls to action, too.

Reviewing DNS entries. Not my favorite pastime. When checking on the configuration of some email addresses ( DMARC ORG , anyone), I used the opportunity to also review the DNS ORG entries for several of my domains. Now you may think, “nothing to see here”—sure—, there were two CARDINAL domains with entries that weren’t needed. Removed. That’s it. (How odd that there may be something to clean up here!)

Adding dimensions to—i.e., sizing—SVGs. I heeded Aaron Gustafson PERSON ’s advice (on this site, and on WebGlossary.info DATE ).

Reviewing filler words, “doubles,” and inconsistencies [again] . The most important thing about being an author is—having a good editor. (I’ve worked with many, and wish I could work with one for everything I write.) One CARDINAL of my previous editors gave me a list of filler words to eliminate, and it’s a list I then modified and extended to go through at least once a year, per an annual DATE reminder. That’s what I’ve done again recently. To make this more worth your while, here’s some of what the list includes: Fillers “quite” “really” “very” “whether or not”

Doubles PERSON “of of” “the the” “are are”

Spellings as per latest glossary documentation (not public)

Connecting to blog.lzomedia.com... Connected... Page load complete